Sunday, November 11, 2012

God, Today I Am Thankful For...



As I spend more time interacting with people who have disabilities, I spend more time thanking God for simple yet profound things:

A voice that speaks
Two hands that work
Arms that bend
Feet that walk
Legs that stand
A mind that learns
Ears that hear
Eyes that see

When I open my wallet I am again overcome with thankfulness….



I have a driver’s license…even though it was challenging, with much encouragement I learned to drive.

I have a credit card….I made it through college and am gainfully employed.

I have a health insurance card…and can access specialized health care whenever I need it.

I am learning that these are not just things that I have earned, but things that I have been given by the grace of God.  Not only has He blessed my life with His providence, He has spared me from so much…..

If you were to make a list of things that you are thankful for, what would be on your list?  I know some of you reading this may be unemployed, disabled, or discouraged.  Your body may not work the way you wish it would and your life hasn’t turned out how you had planned.  Will you join me despite these challenges in thanking God for His goodness?  

“God, today I am thankful that you created me.  You have given me breath and life.  Thank you that you sustain me through the struggles of life.  You have redeemed my life and while I walk with you here on earth, I look forward to the day when I will see you face to face—where you will wipe every tear from our eyes.”

If you created a board of thankfulness where you daily stuck things you were thankful for upon it, what would you post?  Watch this video of a young married couple giving thanks in this way in the midst of living with traumatic brain injury.

(If you can't see the video below, you can view it at:  http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/the-story-of-ian-larissa)





Image Source: http://www.technotheory.com/2006/04/wallet-efficiency/

No comments:

Post a Comment