Tuesday, November 24, 2015

In Everything Give Thanks


I wrote this post back in 2012, but I thought I would pull it out this week in honor of Thanksgiving.  I’ve been learning how to wear hardware with grace over the past three years; I’ll post a picture of myself at the end so you can see what I look like going to work in the morning.  

This morning I grumbled a little bit as I strapped on my new carbon-fiber leg brace at the breakfast table. I knew today was going to busy and I needed all the support I could get. My brace and custom made shoe inserts have been very helpful, but it often means I have to wear tennis shoes with my dress pants to work.

"Be thankful!" I commanded myself as I moved around the kitchen. "Be thankful there's a clinic right in MN that treats CP. Be thankful you were able to get an appointment right away. Be thankful for health insurance. Be thankful you live in a country where you can even get a brace."

"Ok." I negotiated with myself. "I'll be thankful." But secretly I wanted to wear stylish shoes today. I pined for my new black boots that were sitting upstairs in my closet. I thought of colleagues who are always dressed so nice, coordinating their outfits from head to toe. I had coordinated my outfit today too--from head to...ankle.


After lunch a class came into the media center for their lesson. One of the students had injured his leg and had most of it temporarily immobilized. He was limping. "Now he's like you!" The class chirped.

"You're right!" I nodded. I sat down in a chair, pulled my pant leg up to my knee, and showed the class my brace. We talked about what it was and why I wear it. I let them ask questions. I didn't have to try to be thankful anymore, because in that moment I was thankful that today wearing my brace was helping me to connect more effectively with the students in front of me.

Today I was certain that the six and seven year old children that were sitting in the reading well had become my teachers, illustrating what Paul had learned in 2 Corinthians. God's grace really is sufficient for me and His power really is being made perfect in my weakness.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.”


Have a Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope in the midst of the things you find challenging to be thankful for, you get a glimpse of goodness.  That’s what this moment was for me.

Next week I’ll start writing on the themes of Advent.  The first one is Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment