Thursday, August 11, 2011

Miracle Treat Day 2011




 


I’ll never forget the first time I saw this symbol on the wall in the lobby of an orthopedic clinic. Next to the picture of a crooked tree tethered to a board were the words, “Orthopedics, to straighten the child.” My mom, sitting next to me said, “Jenny, that’s you!” 

Tree of Andry, Sculpted by Douglas Kiburz, MD
Image from http://www.orthopaediclist.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=26

While most babies learn to walk between 9 and 18 months, I learned to “walk” at age two. Both of my feet turned inward and I was always up on my tiptoes. My left foot dragged upside down behind my right. I often had to keep my hands in the air so I could simply balance, but I fell often. Something had to be done.
How I used to walk


Thankfully, my family didn’t have to look any farther than Gillette Children’s Hospital in St. Paul, MN. Their Website states that “In 1987, Gillette opened their Center for Gait and Motion Laboratory and at the time, was the only one available in the upper Midwest."  In November of that year, I became a patient.
At Gillette's Gait and Motion Laboratory
November, 1987
Prior to the development of this diagnostic technology, a surgeon would operate on a child, cast, and observe a child post recovery, sometimes operating multiple times before gaining the desired result. While multiple surgeries are still often necessary for children with CP, the Gait and Motion Laboratory helps to provide accurate diagnostic information limiting the amount of necessary procedures a child must endure because the information helps to customize surgeries in order to address each child’s unique gait. 

Waiting in my PJs to enter the operating room at Gillette
October 1988
Following my visit at the Gait Lab, Dr. Steven E. Koop performed a surgery where my both of femurs were severed and rotated out. My tendons were also lengthened so my feet would stay on the ground. I was in a body cast for six months while I recovered. Months of physical therapy followed and I now walk with only a slight limp. Amazing! The care I received at Gillette changed my life because it enabled me to become independent for a lifetime. 


In my cast during Halloween


Learning to walk again during a physical therapy session at Gillette


I am grateful for the work that the professionals at Gillette Children’s Hospital continue to provide for children with cerebral palsy and other disabilities. That’s why I am asking for you to consider participating in the Dairy Queen Miracle Treat Day today, August 11, 2011.


Participating in Miracle Treat Day is simple. Go to a participating DQ today and purchase a blizzard. A dollar from each Blizzard sold will be donated to a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital. In MN, some of the proceeds will directly benefit Gillette and ultimately kids with CP. 

Image Source: klax-tv.com


You can find a participating Dairy Queen location on the Miracle Treat Day Website. You can also peruse all the various blizzard flavors via DQ’s Website. The blizzard for the month of August is Nutter Butter with peanut butter crème filling. I tried a mini blizzard on Tuesday; if you love those peanut shaped cookies, that one’s for you! In years past, DQ has further shown their generosity to participants on Miracle Treat Day by giving coupons to their customers. Take a picture of yourself and your blizzard and I will post it on my blog.  (Note: If you want to send a picture, you can send it to jenniferchristinehill@gmail.com. Include your name, blizzard flavor, and DQ location if you would like and I will post that too. )
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I never need additional reasons to eat a blizzard, but I agree, this is an amazing foundation!


    BTW, you were TOTALLY adorable as a little tyke (oh and beautiful as a grown woman).

    ReplyDelete