Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Invisible God



I struggle at times with the invisible qualities of God.  There are days when I wish He was more present in physical form.  Especially when I’m….

…needing a hug:

It’s comforting to read of God’s everlasting arms, but there are many days that I want nothing else than to feel His arms wrapped around me, so I can hide my head securely in His embrace.  I understand love most clearly through touch and have had many poignant prayers with God asking Him: “Why did You create me this way when I spend so much time alone?”

So when family and friends open their arms and invite me into their embrace its more than a simple greeting, I’m reminded that God Himself loves me and hasn’t ignored how I was created.


…alone in my writing:

God promises never to leave us or forsake us, but sometimes these are hard truths to grasp.  I’m deep into writing a memoir that carefully details the painful past of my journey with Him.  Sometimes the pen is also the needle that relieves pressure and brings healing but often is an aching tool to hold.  Why is it that God seems to be the most distant when we’re in the most pain?



Today, I brought an extra chair into my office and set it at the table where I write.  It reminds me that He is sitting by my laptop too.

…needing to be carried:

The Bible speaks repeatedly of God holding us up, keeping us from falling, but how does that play out when the parking lot is icy, the stairs have no railing, or the terrain is uneven?  What am I supposed to do when I have to carry a heavy box through a doorway or drag luggage through an airport?  

Recently, I opened my car door to discover two colleagues standing in the freezing rain waiting to walk me into work so that I wouldn’t fall.  In that moment, I was reminded that God sees me and my actual needs and is working through His people to meet them.


How have you struggled with the invisible nature of God?  How have you seen Him physically meet your needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment